2016/04/19

How to check device and add device library in Eagle PCB - Part 1

Here is a summary of my finding about how to check device and add device library in Eagle PCB 6.6.0.

I recently needed an Arduino Uno Stepper Motor Shield for a camera trolley that I am working on. At first, I tried to create the shield by modifying the Arduino Proto Shield. However, after further search on the internet, I came across a design on Shapeoko which I think is perfect for what I need so I decided to use it instead. As it's my first attempt at PCB making, I want to use this project to get myself more familiar with Eagle PCB (hence this post).

Here are the images of the schematic and gerber of the stepper motor shield design that I found on Shapeoko.




Check Device

To check the pin head, move mouse cursor to the cross near the center of the pin head and right click to bring out the menu.


Select Properties to check the properties of the device.


Here we could see that the device name of the pin head is called PINHD-1X6 and this device is located in the library called pinhead.

Left click on the Add icon (red circle) to bring up the ADD window which contains a list of all the available devices that can be added into the schematic and we could find PINHD-1X6 under pinhead.


We now turn our attention to the A4988 Carrier Board. Right click on the cross inside the icon that represents the A4988 Carrier Board and left click on Properties to bring up the Properties window.


Here we could see the name of this device and the library to which this device belongs to.

However, when we try to open this device for more details, an error message pop up saying that the library cannot be found.



After checking in the "Eagle\lbr" directory (where the device libraries are located), it's clear that RepRapjr.lbr doesn't exist in the directory.

Double check in the ADD window, there is no sight of RepRapjr.


Add Device Library

Google "a4988breakout eaglepcb library" and the result shows that there may be a RepRap.lbr in RepRapWiki.


Follow the instruction at http://reprap.org/wiki/Eagle_Library to download the RepRapjr.lbr library and place it in the Eagle\lbr directory.


Now when we right click on the cross in the icon that represents A4988 Carrier Board and select Open Device, the details of this device is shown.


In order to add the devices in the RepRap.lbr library to the schematic, we first need to tell Eagle to use this library. To do so, click Library -> Use.


Then, select the RepRap.lbr library and click Open.


After that, when you click on the Add icon again and scroll down, you will see a list of the devices used by RepRap for you to choose from.


2 comments:

  1. very informative and very nice article on the WEB. I'm also read many article of your site but at this time this is the best. Thanks for sharing it , i'm also share these tips on my site http://www.techora.net/, you can check that, and suggest me any related thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's great to know that this post helps!! Let me know whether there are other topics that you would like to know..

    ReplyDelete